I got started on my project of re-recording my mom's interview tapes. My large cassette kept messing up so I got tired of playing with it; we were close to the end, but no cigar.
The transcribing part was fun, but I'm tired and worn out after 5 1/2 hours of re-recording and transcibing. I'm relearning some things that I had forgotten she shared with me. What a delight this project is going to be as long as my tapes don't keep messing up. I have about 10 pages transcribed and that's not even one whole side of the other tape, if I remember right. I got a little frustrated when I ran into difficulties. Don't think I got to the other side of the big cassette.
However, I have done 3 sides of the micro-cassettes now. Eyes too tired to do any more tonight. It's so much fun listening to her tell about learning to cook and the heck she caught for getting into her own birthday cake when she was about 8. And the love in her voice when she talks about her daddy or Pop as she often calls him and her grandma (my great grandmother who I adored--I consider her to be one of my guardian angels in life now). Sad she can't speak of her own mother with as much affection. She has talked about her first birth and the things she knew nothing about prior to going through the experience. Pretty forthcoming information she is providing. And lots and lots of laughter taking place as she fondly remembers these things she is sharing.
I'm having a blast doing this project (the reliving the interview and the transcription part). Looking forward to providing copies to members of the family once I get done, but hope no one is holding their breath as it took 5 1/2 hours just to barely scratch the surface. There are at least 4 tapes and maybe a 5th one to re-record.
I'll keep plugging away. Not often than the television is off so I can proceed with this type of project w/o interference. Weekends usually a good time for something like this, but tonight was an exception. Just nothing on that my hubby or I was interested in.
So wishing you all a good night and I'm gonna sign off and try to get some well-earned zzzzz's.
What a precious project. I gave my mother scrapbooks to do with my kids. I don't know how much she's actually done with the books. I always thought it would be cool to set down with my parents and ask questions and hear their stories. I really should. I'll have to think on that some more. You're making me miss my favorite Grandmother. Her smile, her laugh, those big warm hands that she would place over mine at prayer time in church, those hugs, and how she called me Sweet Heart. Good memories. You have quite the valuable treasure there in those tapes.
ReplyDelete